I love making wholesome, nutritious salads during the Summer but I find that during the colder months I want something more warming and filling. However, eating stodgy foods like mac and cheese, and pizza does inevitably take it’s toll on my energy levels due to their starchy nature. I wanted to create a lighter option for my dinner so I created this filling Winter take on a salad.
I’ve always been a fan of falafels but I’ve found that ever since I’ve stopped eating meat, they’ve literally become a stable of my diet! I love these ones from Couldron as they have such an exotic Moroccan flavour.
I’d say this meal is a great option for all those veggies out there and also to anyone else who wants to have a few meat free days.
I used feta cheese for this but I would say grilled halloumi or goats cheese would go equally as well.
1 small sweet potato
1/4 Lentil rice pack (I used Merchant Gourmet)
2 mushrooms- sliced
1/4 courgette- sliced
1/2 red onion- sliced
1/4 bag kale
30g feta cheese
1 tsp olive oil spray
1/2 tsp cajun
1/2 tsp garlic powder
1 tbsp balsamic vinegar
1/2 wholemeal pita
1/4 pot of houmous
- Microwave the sweet potato for 4 minutes on high power so it’s soft enough to cut into cubes (but not too much that it goes mushy).
- Grill the falafels on medium heat for about 6-8 minutes
- Meanwhile, spray the pan with a few pumps of olive oil then fry the onion until slightly clear, then add the courgette followed by the mushrooms, kale and sweet potato until slightly browned
- Microwave the lentil rice for 90 seconds then stir in the Philadelphia (so it melts) before adding it to the pan.
- Lower the heat and add the balsamic vinegar and stir until it caramelises, then serve it all on a plate.
- Add the falafels and serve with toasted pita and houmous.
Let me know if you guys try out this recipe below and mention any changes you’ve made!