Ever since I decided to stop eating meat, I found that I started to just replace the ‘meat’ part of my meal with cheese or fish I wasn’t actually moving to a more plant based diet which was my initial goal- instead I was just substituting one animal product with another.
Ever since becoming more aware of this, I’ve tried to cook more vegan dinners and I’ve come to the realisation that it’s much easier that it seems! You really don’t need to but all those pricey vegan products that a lot of bloggers/media promote because I think an traditional vegan diet is supposed to be based on simple ingredients from nature flavoured with loads of spices and herbs.
I recently made a bean stew and it really reminded my of the flavours you get from a burrito especially with the avocado on the side. This recipe is super easy won’t take longer that 15 minutes to make!
This makes around 3 servings; and I recommend serving it with a different carb each day to stop it from getting repetitive. You can serve this stew with rice, nachos or wraps. Alternatively you can freeze it and then defrost whenever you need!
1 can of mixed beans in tomato sauce (Tesco)
1 tbsp tomato puree
Handful of chopped okra (frozen)
1/4 broccoli, chopped
1/2 onion, chopped
1/2 sweet potato
1 tsp Garlic powder
1 tsp Harissa seasoning
1/2 chili chopped
1/2 tsp olive oil
1 cube of vegetable stock
1/4 Avocado or guacamole
1. Microwave the sweet potato until semi-soft (around 4 mins on high power)
2. Cube the cooked sweet potato
3. In a pan heat the olive oil and cry the onion, broccoli, okra and sweet potato until browned slightly
4. Add the beans in tomato sauce, tomato puree and vegetable stock cube.
5. Add the spices and add half a cup of water.
6. Bring to the boil then simmer for 15 minutes until the mixture thickens slightly.
7. Serve with rice, wraps, or nachos along with 1/4 of avocado or guacamole
Let me know if you try this out in the comments below!