I always look forward to my weekend breakfasts because it’s the only time in the week when I can actually go at my own pace in the kitchen in the morning rather than being in a rush for work! This healthy vegan breakfast burrito recipe makes a perfect nutritional breakfast because it’s high in plant-based protein, packs a punch of flavour, and is filling too!
I made my burrito using the leftover bean mixture from my Mexican Bean Stew dinner, but Heinz Creationz Mexican Beanz are great too if you don’t fancy making your own. Watch out though because shop bought beans can be loaded with sugar so aren’t as healthy as homemade ones.
The nutritional yeast adds a lovely cheesy and nutty flavour to the beans and is also high in vitamin B12 (which is hard to get from a vegan diet!) so i definitely recommend adding it to the bean mixture. It’s advised that you don’t let the nutritional yeast boil as this could destroy the vitamins so I always just stir it through at the end and let it dissolve. I bought mine from the penny sale in Holland and Barrett but you can also find it on Amazon.
The great thing about this healthy vegan breakfast burrito recipe is that you can adapt it depending on what vegetables/dips/condiments you have in your fridge! I used my Golden Hummus as the base spread as its really creamy and high in protein, but some crushed avocado would go nicely with it too!
Healthy Vegan Breakfast Burrito Recipe
These burritos are perfect for weekend breakfast as they're high in protein and they pack a punch of flavour too! You can be as experimental as you want with the fillings, I reckon some smashed avocado would go perfectly!
- 1 wholemeal seeded wrap
- 1/3 tin Heinz Creationz Mexican Beans or make your own (see above for link)
- 1 tbsp hummus you can make your own (see above for link)
- 2 mushrooms sliced
- 1 handful rocket
- 1/2 red onion sliced
- 1 garlic clove crushed
- 1 tsp olive oil
- 1/2 red pepper sliced
- 1/2 tsp cajun powder
- Salt and Pepper
- Chili sauce to to taste
- 1 tbsp crushed avocado/guacamole
- 1 tbsp nutritional yeast
- Heat oil on medium heat and add the garlic
- Once the garlic starts to cook add the onion and stir
- As the onion starts to brown add the red pepper and mushrooms and stir
- Add the cajun spice, salt and pepper.
- Once the veg is almost cooked, lower the heat and add the beans
Continue to stir until the beans have cooked through, then turn off the heat and stir through the nutritional yeast so it dissolves
- Spread the hummus (and/or guacamole) on the wrap and add the bean mixture
- Top with rocket and chili sauce
- Roll the wrap up (I fold the sides to give a closed burrito)
Let me know if you try out this recipe in the comments below, and if you have any other filling recommendations!